Military Appreciation Month takes place throughout May in the United States. Since the early days in America’s history, the military has played an important role in shaping our country. Throughout the month, important military achievements are recognized including Loyalty Day and Victory in Europe Day (VE Day), marking the end of WWII.
Although Military Appreciation Month is a time to recognize those in uniform, it’s also time to take pause and distinguish those outside the military; May’s observances also include Military Spouse Appreciation Day and Armed Forces Day.
Join Offerpad as we salute those who serve and recognize Military Appreciation Month. Our team is forever grateful for everything you do to keep our country safe.
Key dates throughout Military Appreciation Month
- Loyalty Day — May 1: Marking the start of Military Appreciation Month, Loyalty Day is intended to reaffirm our devotion to the United States as well as offer a moment to reflect on the rich history as a leader in the free world.
- Public Service Recognition Week (PSRW) — May 5 through May 11: Taking place the first week of May, PSRW had been observed since 1985 to help recognize those who serve at a federal, state, county and local government level.
- Victory in Europe Day (VE Day) — May 8: A day full of ceremony, VE Day marks the day the Germans offered unconditional surrender to Allied forces, marking an important turning point in WWII.
- Military Spouse Appreciation Day — May 10: It’s not just the men and women of the military who make a sacrifice; it’s also their spouses. Military Spouse Appreciation Day recognizes the important role family plays in sustaining America’s military.
- Armed Forces Day — May 18: Originally established by President Harry S. Truman, Armed Forces Day is a day for communities to come together in recognition of all military members and their service. The day has since evolved to include members of the Army, Navy, Marine Corps and Air Force.
- Memorial Day — May 27: Recognized as a Federal holiday, Memorial Day is annually observed on the last Monday in May. This day recognizes the men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice in the course of their service.
Military Appreciation Day deals 2019
Are you a member of the military or connected to someone who serves? Make sure to take advantage of these great deals throughout May in recognition of our military members!
- Blue Star Musuems — Over 2,000 participating museums are offering active military members and their families free admission.
- Home Depot — Veterans receive a 10% military discount on Memorial Day with a DoD-issued ID, a DD214 or a Veterans Driver’s License.
- Various Restaurants — Food discounts are available at many locations including Ryan’s Steakhouse, Bubba Gump Shrimp Co., Twin Peaks, and numerous Hard Rock Cafe’s are offering military discounts.
- LEGOLAND Discovery Center — Throughout May, all active duty, reserves, and military vets receive 50% off Walk Up Admission; offer extends to friends and family. LEGOLAND Discovery Center locations in Boston, Philadelphia, and Westchester.
Offerpad’s relationship with military families
We’ve helped thousands of people around the country buy and sell homes, many of whom are active or former military. Our team understands how important ‘home’ is to the men and women who serve our country — we are honored our service can provide them and their families a modern solution.
When duty calls, you answer. I’ve been in several situations where the Army required me to move my family with little notice. Offerpad allows you to pick your closing date, taking the stress out of selling your home and freeing you up to focus on the things that really matter: your family and your country.”
– Jennifer Hunnicutt, Offerpad Operations Manager
Members of the military exemplify what it means to lead — we know how valuable they are as members of any team. Offerpad makes it a point to hire veteran leadership and experience whenever possible, setting them up for career success in civilian life. Offerpad is proud to currently employ several vets.
Being a veteran means that you’re part of a family that never stops growing. As a member of that family, your job is to continue to hold yourself to the same standard in every aspect of your life as you did when you represented the United States of America. To me, if you’re a veteran, people should be able to tell. I can say with confidence that my service to Offerpad is structured very similar to my military experience.”
– Elijah Carino, Offerpad Atlanta Office
Tips to show your appreciation during Military Appreciation Month
According to Military.com, while veterans appreciate a ‘thank you’ for their service, your actions are a more powerful demonstration of your appreciation. Here are some creative ways to honor active military personnel and veterans throughout the month of May.
- Donate to a veteran organization — Make a charitable donation to a military organization like the Wounded Warrior Project or Disabled American Veterans.
- Donate your time to a veteran/organization — Do you know a veteran in your neighborhood? See how you might be able to help lend a hand around their home. You also have the option of visiting any local charities supporting the armed forces and volunteering.
- Talk to a veteran — While not every veteran wants to revisit the details of their service in intimate detail, there’s plenty of vets who appreciate the opportunity to share their firsthand experience about what it means to serve. If you know a veteran, start a dialog — alternatively, visit a charity that supports local vets in your area and lend an ear.
- Support veteran-owned business — There’s plenty of veteran owned businesses out there — make sure you get out there to support during Military Appreciation Month and throughout the year.
Offerpad salutes you
Offerpad is forever grateful to the selfless individuals who keep our country safe, protecting the freedoms we enjoy every day. We are humbled by your service and appreciate everything you do in the course of duty. From our family to yours, thank you.