New Offerpad survey reveals home selling pain points
Let’s face it. Getting ready for an open house or home showing is THE. WORST. The to-do list is endless, from home repairs, deep cleaning and figuring out what to do with the kids and pets.
So, we knew we were onto something when we set out to make selling a home a lot easier – it had to be, right?
Got the home selling blues?
We recently surveyed more than 2,000 Americans who have sold a home to tell us about their experiences.1 When asked what they thought were some of life’s most stressful events, they ranked moving, preparing their home for sale and planning a funeral at the top of the list, with 39% of Americans rating the stress of preparing for a home sale as “a lot more than expected.” Sixty-two percent said the process of getting ready to sell negatively impacted their mental health, and 66% said they’d skip it altogether to protect their mental wellbeing.
To help lower your stress level when selling your home, Offerpad takes care of literally (almost!) everything for you. When you sell with Offerpad, cleaning, yard work, updates, repairs and even a free local move.2 If you choose our cash offer, you can even opt out of open houses altogether!
Curious what else home sellers had to say about their biggest home selling pain points?
- More than half (53%) of respondents agreed that they spent more time preparing their home for sale (getting ready for showings and open houses) than they wanted or expected to.
- More than three-quarters (76%) of respondents said they spent more money preparing their home for sale than they wanted or expected to.
- Nearly half (48%) spent $2,500-$7,500 preparing their home for sale (including repairs, renovation, cleaning, organizing, etc.), while 25% spent more than $5,000.
- More than half (52%) said they’d accept less for their homes to avoid the time and energy of preparing for open houses or showings, and 42% said they’d be willing to sacrifice at least 5% of their home sale price if they didn’t have to prepare it for sale (i.e., doing yard work, cleaning, repairs, updates, etc.).
Other stress-inducing survey results we found:
- Sixty-three percent of respondents said they considered taking their home off the market because of how tedious it was to prepare for showings and open houses.
- Forty-four percent of Americans start preparing their home for an open house or showing a month or more in advance.
- Twenty-five percent of respondents rated managing pets as the most loathsome part of preparing for an open house or showing, followed closely by getting their family out of the house (22%).
- Thirty-one percent said organizing closets and cabinets was something they did to prepare their home for sale.
Stress-less real estate
At Offerpad, we’re changing the game so people can spend less time ‘real estat-ing’ and more time getting back to living their lives. With our digital on-demand solutions center and local real estate expertise, we deliver an easier experience that gives you more peace of mind with freedom from the burdens of selling a home. If you’re prepping for an open house, we even dreamed up a few “prototype” products inspired by our survey results that may help, too. Check them out here.
Need an open house opt out instead? Get a free cash offer on your home in 24 hours at Offerpad.com to skip listings and showings completely; pick your own closing day; get a free local move and other benefits to help you stress less with more control over the sale of your home – and your life.
It’s easy! Get started here.
1This online survey of 2,000 Americans who have sold a house was commissioned by Offerpad and conducted by market research company OnePoll.
2Terms and conditions apply. See Offerpad.com for details.